So Long Jibberish, Hello Language...ish

Baby Ezra has started to transition his jibberish from random noises into noises that sound like they could actually be words in a different language. He talks, and talks, and talks, and talks. I can't even imitate it in my head, but it's so cute! And it's so not baby sounding, it's little person sounding. It's not goo-goo gah-gah ma-ma, it's like a little person talking in a different language. I know, I know, I already said that, but it's hard to find the right words to describe it. The funny thing is, he acts like I should be able to understand what he's saying. I don't remember Levi doing this, and I think Ezra does this because he hears Levi and I talking to each other all day and he wants to get in on the conversation. Ask him a question, and Baby Z has an answer. An immediate answer. A "looking-you-in-the-eye-deliberately" answer.

"Do you want some cheerios?"
"ah glah boot."
"Are you thirsty?"
"glee glish nat."

The really scary thing is when it sounds like he's getting words right. Coincidence? Communication? Don't know, but precious either way! Tonight, I was holding toys out to him and saying their names, and he could repeat me almost correctly for each one. And then I held out an elephant for the third time (we were going through the toys over and over again), and he said, "ephet" unprompted. What?! I'm sure it was a mistake. Right?!?!

A few words he says I do not think are accidental. He does say Mama (usually when he's wanting to get up in the morning or from a nap), Daddy (every day when Steve comes home from work), Ezra (I promise, and I'm not the only one that thinks this! He says it looking in the mirror all the time, too!), Hi, and I did it (Steve has heard it too and confirmed my suspicions that he's actually saying this). He says a few other words, and the best part about him saying things is that if I repeat them back to him right after he says them his little chubby face ABSOLUTELY lights up with glee that he was heard, understood, and acknowledged. And when I say his whole face lights up, I mean HIS WHOLE FACE. See?


Yes, every baby does this "starting to talk" thing. But right now, MY baby is doing this. And it's just as yummy to me as his squishy little self is.

1 comments:

how fun! My niece jabbers like that, so I know exactly what you mean -- we call it Chinese :)

Post a Comment