Playing Doctor

Last night I was feeling a bit under the weather, with a stomach ache mostly (it turned into the flu in the middle of the night, but I'll spare you those details, along with the details of both Ezra and Levi having it as well ... been there, done that, why are we doing it again???). During dinner last night I started feeling pretty uncomfortable and heartburnish (no, I'm not pregnant. Don't even go there), so I excused myself to lay on the loveseat while the boys and Steve finished up. A couple of minutes later, Levi announced, "I have to go check on Mommy." Steve permitted him to do so, and the following scenario ensued:

"Mommy, what's a matter?"
"I don't feel good."
"Oh. Is it your knee (pointing to my knee)?"
"Nope."
"Oh. Is it down your pants (pointing to my pants)?"
"Uh, no (shooting a weird look to Steve, who shrugs)."
"Oh. OK. Is it in your shirt (pointing to my stomach)?"
"Yeah. I have a tummyache."
"Oh. Under your belly button. I'll kiss it."

Levi hopped on back to the dinner table, ate some more, and then announced "I have to check on Mommy again."

"Mommy, where do you hurt now?"
"In my tummy still."
"No, not this time."
"Oh, OK. Where do I hurt now, then?"
"In your head."
"Oh, yes. I do hurt in my head. Can you help me, Dr.?"
"Sure, Mommy. Sure. Hmm ... I'm going to have to take your head off."
"Uh, that's no good. Is there anything else you could do?"
"Nope. Just take your head off. And move it somewhere else."

After dinner was finished Levi continued to be a very attentive Dr. for the rest of the night. He wanted to go get me a pillow, my afghan from my bed (yes, I have an afghan, a beautiful afghan from my Grandma, and it's one of my most prized possessions), a drink of water. He sang me songs (Jesus Loves the Little Children, which he calls "The Black and White Kids Song [?!?!?!?!]" and he made up a song called, "Your head hurts right now."). He tucked me in. He read me a book (The Bernstein Bears and the Spooky Old Tree, word for word). And the whole time he kept repeating two phrases: "Mommy, you're gonna be OK." and "Awww, Mommy, you're so cute."

I asked him if he is going to be a Dr. when he grows up. He replied, "Yes. At Northgate."

2 comments:

That is such a darling story! I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could find yours. =) I love the title, and I'm looking forward to having snips, snails and puppy dog "tales" of my own coming up soon!

Post a Comment